Person looking through a hole.

Sudden spiritual awakening can exist followed by a profound lack of motivation and the feeling that life is meaningless. How do we navigate this?

When the belief in the personality-cocky dissolves and we uncover the inherent emptiness inside all things, this tin can cause serious disorientation, a kind of vertigo.

Suddenly, nothing in life seems to have a pregnant. You might start to wonder what the point is to this, to life.

Without the meanings you lot ascribed to the various aspects of life—work, relationships, goals and aspirations, even spiritual seeking—you lot may discover you no longer feel motivated to exercise much of anything. When yous are used to being a seeker, y'all become really good at embodying that perspective. But once you lot are a finder, the whole universe shifts, and instead of using the skills and avaricious reflex you employed as a seeker, you have to utilise a whole new approach and skill set, which is all about integration, expansion and stability. It's different, and for a while, you may actually suck at it. Non to worry!

I've experienced a profound lack of motivation, and it even so seems to arise and subside. Sometimes it's gone for years and and then all of a sudden it's back. I have to acknowledge that I've never wondered why it comes and goes. Months have passed and I hardly seem to notice. I accept no goals, not even pocket-size ones. I have few responsibilities. This is partly because for x years I've but not taken on new ones. When I was first awakened, I had lots and lots of responsibilities, and dealt with those until they were resolved and I engaged in no new or farther commitments.

Don't get me wrong, I'one thousand not sitting hither covered in a layer of moss or something. It's not as though I don't clean the firm or brush my teeth anymore…just I don't plainly "accomplish" anything for long stretches of fourth dimension. It's weird, but not unpleasant. And and so something changes and my focus is chosen into some external in-the-world take chances or endeavour.

This lack of motivation and the disorientation can lead one to real, concrete depression. Information technology doesn't have to, and doesn't for all people, but many have wandered into this bleak territory. It is one thing to know that in that location is no point, only it's entirely a different experience when a m pounds of pointlessness pins you downward and sits on your chest. Frankly, it sucks.

I really don't know how a person can know if they are depressed or not. I don't really know what low is. We employ this discussion and so much, and people seem to utilize information technology to describe a diverseness of unpleasant mind states. My feeling is that some people can get lost in the pointlessness and and so they will get depressed. Others experience the pointlessness, but continue moving through it.

All I can offer is my own experience. Let'due south say I'1000 being crushed by Pointlessness. I stay curious almost it, experience it, feel the dead center of it, the edges of information technology, all of it. I investigate information technology. Information technology'southward not physical pain, it's not like having your arm cut off or stomach cramps or even being homeless and having to sleep rough in some cold place. Pointlessness is purely a mental construct. Your mind is suffering from it. Your heed is feeling disoriented from it.

Here are some things I do:

Showtime, I don't try to go rid of it. It is what information technology is.

I ask: So What? This seems then elementary, merely ofttimes I discover that I can't really come up with a reason why it's even important. What if life is pointless? And so what? You see the pointlessness, and there it is. The sun comes upwardly, I h2o my garden, my cat needs to be fed. Even if all these things are pointless, does that change anything?

What if there is a point or purpose, but you just tin't grasp what it is at this time?

What if yous are sensing that the machinations of human gild are pointless (graduate, get a task, become married, have kids, 401k, dinner parties, networking, blah blah)…which they are. Only does that hateful that all life is pointless?

What if life is pointless?

Does that mean it has no value? Do things just have a value if they have a point or purpose?

Just feel effectually and see who is feeling the horrible weight of this pointlessness and meaninglessness. Is information technology on a soul level? And maybe that is not a skillful term to use, because what is a soul later all? Just I think yous know what I hateful. Is information technology the mind feeling painfully disoriented or is it from your core being?

When y'all realize viscerally in every moment that every meaning y'all've always ascribed to your life and all its contents has evaporated or been seen to be simulated or empty, that can exist extremely disorienting. In that disorientation, you can and then hyper focus on the feeling of pointlessness or grasp onto it then, oddly, give the pointlessness a meaning or value, even if it is negative.

Yous feel that life has no significant, and now yous've ascribed a meaning (negative) to the lack of meaning!

Weird but true: life goes on without a purpose perceived past you.

So manifestly the whole of life does non hinge on whether you lot tin can divine a purpose or significant in information technology. We believe that meaning and purpose are of import or fifty-fifty crucial, only if you look around, Life doesn't seem to share that opinion. Meaning and purpose exercise not appear to exist the foundation upon which Life is congenital, so maybe it's merely the mind that believes them to be and so crucial.

Awakening can be pretty freaky at times, just I promise you that the end of it is not supposed to be yous staring out the window for hours on end, unable to rouse yourself to appoint with this globe in some fashion. It can feel similar beingness lobotomized at times, but it is non that.

Can you lot imagine a life in which you go through the disorientation and arise to encounter the earth as it comes to you, fully…even though it is pointless? Can you imagine expressing your e'er-evolving true nature moment by moment, not merely acting out the tired empty pantomime of the persona? Can you imagine doing any information technology is you will be doing and feeling whatever you lot will be feeling, beingness fully live and awake…even though at that place is no point?

I got up before dawn this morning and fed the birds and chipmunks, I fed my true cat, I made some tea. I split some firewood, which was a lot harder than I thought it would exist. I did a bunch of admin stuff that needed doing, I cleaned the house and paid some bills and fed the cat once more.

Even though it is pointless. So what? Even though I tin't observe a point or purpose to whatever of information technology, I am still fully engaged in doing all these things. You tin hear my voice speaking through these written words, live, existent and present. That's considering, even though I tin can find no point, I'm no longer looking for a point.

If I'm not in thrall to the purpose or non purpose, I tin simply be and exercise and express and feel freely. Got Purpose? No? Then what?

It'due south an awkward stage. But equally with whatsoever stage, you lot can become stuck in it and retard your understanding, your mastery.

I know the mind is always after answers, merely I also know that this morn, before the sun was upwardly, I saw the moon and morning stars and they were amazing. Looking at them, I became them for a moment. I was amazed. And I could feel that full, even though my heed is pretty much empty of answers. Certainly empty of purpose or pregnant.

Y'all can become in that location too. Keep moving through this phase and don't let yourself become too fascinated with the problem of not being able to find significant or purpose.

And if y'all are getting depressed, nevertheless y'all measure that, and then all the normal remedies still utilise: eat for mental health, proceed regular sleep hours, get plenty vitamin D and Bs, get out in nature, take a intermission from your phone/computer/tv, be physical and get your heart charge per unit up every 24-hour interval, don't have heed altering drugs similar alcohol or excessive carbohydrate, exercise something that inspires you to feel expert or blithesome that does non demand a purpose, like watching a dusk or going to the embankment or playing with your dog…in that location are and then many things that are but awesome whether yous ascribe a meaning to them or not.

I've been in a similar place to where you are now and it is non like shooting fish in a barrel. I know. But it'due south just a phase, so long as you don't get trapped in information technology. The mind loves idea loops.

I employ the word disorientation a lot.

The discussion seems balmy and beneficial, and perchance it is the understatement of all fourth dimension to use information technology to the experiences nosotros are talking most.  Oh, your entire universe is turned inside out? Don't worry, yous're but disoriented! But disorientation is serious and feels horrendous and overwhelming. A signal goes off that says, "PANIC!" Alarms ring.

I likewise speak of navigation, and how we need to navigate this enkindling.

Pilots and sailors volition tell you how important it is to stay correctly oriented. The ability to know where you are in relation to the horizon or sun or constellations is a matter of life or death.

Having certain anchors, like the aforementioned horizon, are not mere trifles. It's life or death. So when you notice your anchors in life are gone or you lot no longer understand your relation to them, yous can run across how y'all will exist totally unable to navigate by the usual means.

A proficient office of the whole mail service-awakening life is finding new ways to sympathise an unfamiliar or vastly inverse terrain and larn once once again to navigate.

READ MORE: ENLIGHTENMENT

Who knew that sudden spiritual awakening would have its ain soundtrack? If yous're one of the growing number of people who experience sudden spiritual enlightenment,…

From the moment I awoke, and every minute after, I've sensed this incredible love pervading everything, from the discarded chewing mucilage on the sidewalk to…

Every awakening emerges in its own peculiar way.  Some of you will slip in and out of Elation, some will pretty much exist engulfed in…

Enlightenment has nothing to exercise with morality or ethical concerns. Aught. Moreover, unless you are already an extremely grounded and wise person, enlightenment can brand…

Does this audio actually cool? Well, I won't lie. It is. And it's also very disturbing if you don't know what is going on. Information technology…

Where do you feel the seat of your consciousness? If you lot are undergoing changes brought on by a sudden spiritual enkindling, this may shift to…

Boom! Awakening is amazing and powerful and all that. And peradventure for some people everything falls into place perfectly when they awaken. Everything is okay…

I'm pretty much in a constant state of amazement, astonishment. Everything is real/not real. Just throughout the day, I'm fuqing astonished at…I don't know….my defunction,…

"Y'all phone call this an upgrade?" Yeah, I feel y'all. Sometimes it can feel like a handicap. Similar you lot've been devitalized in some way. But remember…

STRAND VIDEO

Investigating the nature of reality. Reality, or the manifested world, pops in and out of existence. Information technology's kind of like a sine wave — above…

Feeling the urge to retreat from the human fray into a spiritual hermitage? Being a hermit is not a reaction to anything. If you take…

First in a series of video explorations of post awakening limbo experiences.

How can your past life or parallel universe self affect you?  We look at ii ways your past and parallel reality lives can connect with…

A hypnotic, layered meditation audio spell for drawing wealth, health, and rejuvenation.  Well, those are the top notes to keep your mind decorated while nosotros…

Limbo Lounge: installment 2. Let'due south innovate the feeling that things are not quite right. Are y'all supposed to do something else?